Feedback of the Hon. Regional Councillor of the Mariental Rural Constituency: Mrs. Deensia Swartbooi.
Progress Report – 7 months
25 October 2021
It is indeed my profound honour as Head of the Mariental Rural Constituency, to make use of this opportunity and shed some light on the activities that I executed in the Constituency, since I took over the office.
Identified Challenges within the Constituency
1. There was no forma handing over f the office and any documentation from the former Regional Councillor: Mr. Simon. C. Dukeleni
2. Beneficiaries of the Micro-Projects that was handed over by Mr S.C. Dukeleni last year in November 2020 at Farm Bernafay, still outstanding. Because of this backlog, the Mariental Rural Constituency did not qualify for Micro-Projects for this financial year. Funds are already committed to purchase for the outstanding items and equipments to be handed over to the beneficiaries. The delay is with the Procurement process at the Regional Council.
3. Unemployment amongst the youth is a major challenge from about 60-70% of young people are unemployed. This is why they engage in criminal activities like stock theft, alcohol & drug abuse, teenage pregnancy, early school drop-outs etc.
4. Most of the inhabitants in the Constituency don’t have National documents, therefore they can’t access much needed services like applying for social grants etc.
5. Sheep project at Farm Bernafay did came to an end. Gardening land was shared amongst households to encourage teamwork.
6. Not enough serviced erven /land available for housing. Corrugated iron houses are increasing in the Constituency because of the increasing unemployment and poverty.
7. Construction of the Hoachanas Court was proposed through the CDC Office, and will be constructed soon.
1. Mariental Rural Constituency Office assisted so far 16 families with coffins to buried their love ones. The latest beneficiary is a Grandmother that passed on at the age of 91 years on the 17th October 2021. The family was assisted by the Regional Councilor through the Social Upliftment Funds to have a decent burial from Dignity Funeral. This was the only acknowledgement we could have given the family, as the late Grandmother was not even recognised as a Veteran or did not even benefit anything from the Government.
2. The Hoachanas Settlement Office availed office space to the Mariental Rural Youth Forum, to administer their duties on a day to day basis. This is to assist youth with much needed services like photocopies, filling out vacancies.
3. The Office of the Regional Councilor assisted 15 unemployed youth members from the Mariental Rural Constituency and paid for their tertiary application fees at Namcol. The Councilor committed herself to pay for the student’s tuition fees when they are accepted to study with Namcol.
4. The Lease Agreements for outstanding projects in Hoachanas was finalized with the office of the Auditor General, which was applied since 2017. These are the 17 Teachers Houses and a 40Kilowatt Solar Project, which will benefit the community of Hoachanas.
5. Seven (7) soup kitchens were identified for the Mariental Rural Constituency, to provide them with a meal once a week.
– Hoachanas Soup Kitchen
– Hoachanas Clinic Soup Kitchen
– Auob Soup Kitchen
– Stampriet Soup Kitchen
6. An initiative from the Regional Councilor assisted 149 Girls from P.I. Groenewaldt S.S.S with sanitary towels, soap and face cloths. To encourage the girl-child to stay at school.
7. Ministry of Home Affairs, Immigration, Safety and Security was informed on the issue of National documents. As head of the Constituency, I requested for outreach programme to be rolled out within the Constituency at least a week or a two at each place to make sure all people without documentation have access.
8. Cleaning Campaigns to be organised by all settlements and villages to clean our townships to attract community tourism to these localities.
9. Cash for work programme to be continued at Hoachanas. Renovation of the auction kraals, the process is slow because of procurement.
10. Cacoc community gardening project in Stampriet will soon be funded to provide vegetables to those suffering and affected by HIV/AIDS within the whole Constituency.
11. Members to serve on the SDC board to be introduced to the community of Hoachanas soon.
12. GIZ together with Min. of Health and Min of Agriculture had a one day workshop with Breastfeeding Mothers of Stampriet. These women were learned how to prepare nutritious meals and how to do backyard gardens. At the end of the day they were also donated seeds.
13. The Councilor also informed the Community members that the long awaiting position for the Hoachanas Settlement Office: the Control Administrative Officer position was advertised and will be hopefully filled early next year.
14. As the head of the Mariental Rural Constituency, I first consulted the Ministry of Gender to come to Stampriet and construct us a decent Early Childhood and Development Centre. Where the foundation of Education can be laid. The people from Min Gender informed me that they do not have any funds due to Covid-19 to build a ECD –Centre for Stampriet now. It didn’t stop me to find donor, until I found the contact details of Mr. Richard Cook the Foundation Coordinator of Anglo American Foundation. I send him ECD request letter from the CDC office, he already had a site visit to the different Kindergartens in Stampriet. I organised all the documents needed for the application and will forward it to him before their board meeting take place.
15. I also had a courtesy visit to the German Embassy, whereby I met with the Ambassador Herbert Beck. I introduce myself as the Head of the Constituency, and that I am representing my people. I also gave him overview of the Constituency, and that they are welcome for developments in my Constituency.
With this few vital projects that I had identified, I am confident that my Constituency will reach the goal of food security and sustainability. We must grip every opportunity that comes our way, with both hands, so that we can become self-sufficient.
I want to share a quote from the late Nelson Madiba Mandela and I quote:
“It seems impossible, until it’s done”
I thank you